Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Feeling the Strain

I'm starting to feel the strain of project monogamy. During the Holidays, in an effort to crank out as much woolly-love as I possibly could, I tried to work on one project at a time. I've only got one gift left to finish off (my secret project, check it out on Ravelry), and while it's a perfectly wonderful project, I find myself gazing longingly at my knitting basket, towards other projects that have been sadly neglected (like Cluaranach, for instance). I'm really looking forward to being project promiscuous again :)

Off topic for a bit: One of my resolutions for 2008 was to try to take better care of myself, and to get back in shape (I didn't want to make it an "official" resolution because, let's face it, who doesn't feel that way after 2 weeks of eating sugar pies?). I've done pretty well up to this point, I'm a few pounds off my pre-pregnancy weight. The thing is, I've been a little, um, complacent lately, and while the numbers on the scale may be similar to what they once were, the body shape is most definitely NOT.

Here's the thing: since I've been home, when Maxime is asleep, I don't want to do a Pilates video (or laundry, or make food). I just want to knit. Sit on my expanding behind and knit. It's now dawned on me that the key would be to take it outside (or out of the house, anyway). So yesterday Maxime and I had our first Aqua-Mommy class. It was great, but MAN! I am SOOOO out of shape! I was pretty much ready to sit and order a milkshake before the class even began, what with the running into the gym 5 minutes before the class started (with 3 bags in tote), frantically getting into my bathing suit and Maxime into his swim trunks. And after the class? Poo-Ped (but strangely energized, nonetheless - exercise does that, as I dimly recall). So was Maxime. He loved the water (first time in a pool), but all that jumping around knocked him out, and I actually had to wake him up from his afternoon nap to pick up Émilie. Too cute. We've also signed up for a Cardio-Poussette class at the Centre de la Nature that starts next week.

I'll leave you with this picture of Maxime, taken this morning while I was stash diving. He's fondling Maggie's sock yarn, in the Prescription Medication colourway (Maggie, if you're reading this, these new semi-solids are your best work yet. Two words: Ge Nius. Dude.) I'm trying to figure out what to work on next (besides Cluaranach, of course): should I cast on the Cardigan for Merry? Socks for Phil? for Myself? All of the above? Yeah, that's what I thought, too. :)

This afternoon we're heading out to Jennifer's house, to meet Robyn and Kate-the-Enabler for a Mommies who Knit (or more accurately, Mommies who talk about knitting while holding fidgety babies) meeting. Should be fun.

9 comments:

Montreal Mama said...

Talking about knitting - yeah, that's what we do.. maybe getting in 1 row or 1 stitch if we're lucky!

You got me addicted to Orange Pellegrino! I bought a case at Costco!

Mrhide said...

it's actually "Sanpellegrino Aranciata" :]

Caroline said...

Oooh Cardigan for Merry! It's so cute! I want to make one too.

Sereknitty said...

Your daughter is adorable!

Sereknitty said...

Forgive me ... SON!

Anonymous said...

No fear Sereknitty - you were't completely mistaken.. her daughter is also adorable.
Props also to Sanpellegrino Limonata...if you can find it. Tres yum...but Costco doesn't stock ir.

Ali P said...

I broke with the projects of Xmas before I was actually done. I flupped up the last one and was so HAPPY to throw it in the garbage and pick up woool, glorious wool, again. Since Xmas I have finished the socks for my sister that got put on hold for Xmas knitting, and a half Fake Isle hat for my son.
Yet i feel like I am getting nothing done..?

Maggie said...

Thanks Tara! Such nice words. Next time I'll make the labels baby-food-flavour for Maxime! :)

Unknown said...

I TOO have made a secret resolution to get in shape. Last week I started a program with a Y trainer AND did some power yoga. 3 whole days of fitness! Just ANOTHER reason why we should be living closer to each other. :(