Friday, January 4, 2008

Year in Review

OK! Phil is out on the Skidoo, Émilie is in daycare, Maxime is asleep. It's just me and the computer! Time for my personal review of 2007.

Looking back at this past year, one thing obviously stands out: the birth of my son, Maxime, now 7 and a half months old. How he went from a bright red newborn to the giant butterball he's become is somewhat of a mystery, despite this being my second time around, but there you have it. 2007 was the year I had my darling boy, and I couldn't be happier with my two wonderful children. I'm truly blessed.

I also received my diploma for my second Masters' degree in 2007, having worked over the past 5 years to obtain my Masters' degree in Library and Information Sciences from McGill University, while simultaneously working full time, getting married and, oh right, having a baby. Looking back, I'm not quite sure how I managed it all, but now that it's over I'm looking forward to pursuing new professional opportunities in my field, preferably closer to home.

I've been married to a wonderful husband and father for 4 years now (together since 1994), and despite the occasional patch when I'd like to cut him up into itty-bitty pieces, our relationship is still going strong. I'd like us to make more time for each other in 2008. That's one resolution.

As far as knitting goes, 2007 has been a landmark year. I think this was the year I really, REALLY got into it. I made my first sock yarn purchases from Pick Up Sticks on Boxing Day 2006, and made my first trip to Effiloché in January of 2007, and presto, a stash was born. I joined Ravelry, and have been enjoying the online knitting community in general. I even took a knitting road trip to Rhinebeck, and have pledged to return next year (fates and life allowing, of course).

I also made real progress as a knitter. For instance, I knit my first pair of socks in January of 2007, and have knit 12 more since that pair. I've learned new techniques, most due to my membership in the Rockin' Sock Club, which I've renewed for 2008. I also cut my teeth on lace with Mystery Stole 3, and have discovered a love of lace and of beaded knitting.

I have 23 FOs for 2007, 21 of which you'll find on the sidebar (2 were given away as gifts pre-blog, therefore I don't have any pictures). The one I'm most proud of has got to be Émilie's Wildflower Sweater. The colourwork, the detailing, and well, it's just so pretty! I'll be sad when it no longer fits.

Lastly, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this, my blog, in my review of 2007. This blog has allowed me to express myself in new ways, and has allowed me to come into contact and develop friendships with some wonderful people. It's been an amazing experience, and I plan on keeping it up in 2008. Thank you to all my readers for participating in this journey with me!

I don't know that I have any specific goals or resolutions for 2008, at least as far as knitting is concerned. I'd like to continue on my path of self-improvement, and tackle areas of knitting that give me the heebie jeebies, like steeks or zippers, or Cat Bordhi. I'd love to learn to spin, but I don't know that I've got the resources available to me. Besides, who can handle another *ahem* healthy obsession?

Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2008 will find you all happy, healthy, and surrounded with yarn.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steeks ain't so bad.

Phew - glad to hear that you're going to continue the blog in 2008 - gave ME the heebie jeebies to think that you might have considered NOT continuing!! eek.
But really - thanks for posting, and giving us the glimpses chez dear - it's a NICE place to visit.

Maybe I need a blog.

Happy New Year. :)

Maggie said...

Congratulations on your studies, Tara! That's really impressive. What a great year for you.

Caroline said...

I'm glad I got to know you a little bit in 2007! I love that sweater you made for your daughter.

And tell Kate she definitely needs a blog!

Montreal Mama said...

Yes, tell Kate she needs a blog - LOL. I agree with Caroline.

Looks like 2007 was a good year for you - and hope 2008 is even better. Congrats on your degree and building your yarn stash!

See you Tuesday!