Friday, April 11, 2008

Hard Work is Hard...

...but eventually, it pays off. Presenting Trellis:


Made with about 6 and 3/4 balls of Mission Falls 1824 Wool (colour: Pistachio), using 4.5 mm needles. I'm really happy with it. As it turns out, there's something to be said about actually reading up on seaming before you go ahead and do it (isn't it funny how that tends to apply to just about anything in life? Better informed = better. Go figure). For instance, while reading The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques, I picked up a helpful tip, which I'm sure every other knitter on the planet knew intuitively and thought was redundant in the book, but on the off chance that I'm not the only challenged seamer out there, I'll repeat it here: when attaching your sleeves to the body of a sweater (or cardigan), to make sure the middle of the sleeve cap fits nicely within the armhole shaping of your garment, start seaming from the shoulder seam outwards (I used to start on one end of the sleeve and finagle endlessly to try to center it, most times unsuccessfully). Thread half the yarn you'll need to attach the sleeve just at the shoulder seam (leaving the rest for later), then attach the sleeve (trying to keep a decent stitch to row ratio). Repeat for second part of sleeve. Weave in ends, and pat self on the back for being THE (WO)MAN!!!!

I finished seaming on Tuesday night, but of course I didn't have any appropriate buttons, so after asking around on Ravelry, I headed out to Rubans, Boutons... on St-Denis, to find the perfect ones. The owner, Richard, was extremely helpful, and together we found the perfect ones.
They're made from cow's horns (does that make me evil? You can harvest a cow's horns without killing it, right? Or rather, doesn't this count as using every single part of the animal, and therefore make me in tune with the ways of Mother Earth? Or something?), and I think they give just the right organic feel to the garment. Here's another view (I went a little nuts with the camera this morning):

As you can see, by this point Russell was wondering what the heck I was doing, and decided to mosey on over to investigate. He got so whiny and insistent that I eventually caved and agreed to let him try it on.

"All Right now Russell, you've had your fun, now shoo!!!" I told him. Reluctantly, he trotted off. I turned the cardigan over because I wanted to get a shot of the back, and the second I look away, what does the sneaky little devil do??? He goes right back and puts it on again, trying to act all angelic!!! Just look at that face!!! "Wha-aaaat???, he asks me sweetly. Don't you think it looks good on me??".


Geez! What is it with sheep and wool? I tell you....

Seriously, if some of you are wondering why Maxime isn't doing the modeling (as opposed to Russell), it's because he's busy teething at the moment, and is feverish and sleepy and boogery and just plain miserable (me too, except for the fever). He's had a fever since last night, and spent a good part of the hours between 1:30 and 4:30 AM crying himself silly.

Yesterday I was rooting around the house, trying to put together a shopping list for the meal I'm preparing for tonight. (Oh, didn't I tell you? We're having an informal (as in anything less than 5 courses would be unacceptable) gathering with a few friends (9 people) tonight. Hahahaha!!!!) I decided to go with a recipe for marinated chicken thighs that I can just stick in the oven and be done with. The recipe calls for, among other things, vermouth. I search high and low, but just can't find any, so I add a bottle to my list and head out to the SAQ. This morning, I prepare the marinade, and go to put the bottle of vermouth away when lo and behold, there's a bottle RIGHT THERE ON THE COUNTER IN FRONT OF ME, with exactly 1 cup missing off the top (the exact quantity required for this recipe).

Anyone up for a Martini? 'Cause I've got all the vermouth we'll need.

Happy knitting everyone. If I make it to Monday with all my marbles intact, I'll nominate myself for a mother of the year award.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Good job on the sweater, it looks fantastic!

Jennifer Lori said...

At least you have enough vermouth to keep you going! The sweater looks great, and your seaming doesn't show...which makes it fantastic! I love the close shot with Russell. I was going to say he was clowning around, but that led to visions of him in a clown hat, and now I'm giggling.

p.s. nice buttons! you evil mother earth woman, you.

Montreal Mama said...

The sweater looks great. Love the dialogue you had with Russell!!

Have a great dinner tonight, let us know how the recipe turns out!

Anonymous said...

Where to start. Love the sweater, charmed to have met it in person...

Poor Maxime - sorry to hear that he's suffering so much - good luck with that, and with the dinner party...

Wishing I liked Martinis..
KTE