Sunday, November 30, 2008

Break on Through

I did it. I somehow managed to survive another weekend. How do people do it? How do we get through the mad rush of the shopping and the cooking and the laundry and the social obligations and still keep our sanity intact? I'm serious, I think this is one of life's great mysteries.

Okay, truth be told, this weekend wasn't really THAT bad. I'm just exhausted from Émilie waltzing into our room and turning on the light at 6:09 AM this morning. In her defense, we have to get up at 6 during the week, but she has yet to grasp the concept of "sleeping in". When you think of it, Phil and I are really the ones who need to keep up with the learning curve though, because we keep falling into the trap of going to bed at 11 o'clock on Friday and Saturday nights (you know, 'cause it's the weekend! we can sleep in! NOT!). Sharp as a butter knife, people.

So, first things first. Saturday evening we were invited to the hippest, happenin'-est party of our neighborhood, Kate-the-Enabler's son Liam's first birthday party.

Liam seemed a little freaked when everyone started to arrive (no biggie, I feel the exact same way when too many people invade my tiny abode), but he and Maxime were eventually able to sit and chill at the Play-Doh table. Can't you just picture them in a few years, trading hockey cards and giggling because on of them said "boobies"?

Now, Phil and I took a bunch of pictures of the party, but one of the adults always managed to be in a most unflattering position in every. single. picture (you know, eyes closed, finger up nose, bent over flashing droopy cleavage, that kind of thing), so this is all you get. *Speaking of droopy cleavage, Chris, if you EVER post that picture you took of me, be prepared to endure my wrath*.

Today we put up some of our Christmas decorations. Émilie and Dad picked up a little tree (I think it's a four-footer?) this morning, and we got to work.

And I do mean WORK, people. Controlling Émilie's creative impulses while simultaneously trying to keep 18 month-old Maxime away from the tree and it's glass ornaments (note to self - invest in some plastic ornaments!) was, um, challenging. See my face in this picture? That's what's referred to as "The Look" in my family. (and MAN! Why is it that I look like a tank in all these pictures! I've lost weight, I tell you!)

We pretty much stopped at the tree. I've got quite a collection of snowglobes and other decorations that I'm still debating on putting out, what with Maxime's enthusiasm and Émilie's overzealousness.

I was hoping that decorating would put me into the Holiday spirit, but I'm just not feeling it. Perhaps after a good night's sleep, I'll feel differently. We'll see.

This afternoon Émilie and I went over to Alison's to drop off some recipe books I'd been holding hostage for a few months, and to meat her new fur baby Newman. Émilie was enchanted to meet a kitty, and of course had a major fit when it was time to leave, crying that the cat would "miss her terribly" and "why can't I get a cat???" (I'm allergic). I think she had finally stopped crying for all of 2 minutes when we got home, and of course, what should Phil ask her when we walked through the door? "Did you see a CAT???" (I think it's a safe bet that "The Look" was used again).

And here we are, another weekend over and done with. Hallelujah! I've got a busy week ahead of me, with choir practice on Monday and 2 concerts this week (including the Oratoire St-Joseph on Saturday!). But I'll do my best to blog. I do it all for you, people! (actually that's a lie, I'm just a comment junkie).

Happy Knitting Everyone!

6 comments:

Ali P said...

Damn me and my cute fur baby! Damn me to HELL!
I will have pictures for Emilie as soon as the camera charges, promise. Thanks for dropping by Chez Clutter Cabin. At least my floor was clean! I took a cleaning fit this morning and vacuumed and mopped the main floor. I felt so virtuous!

Sereknitty said...

Maxime is so adorable! He's just a few months older than our grandbaby, who is coming over for a visit shortly, btw.
I do not think you resemble a tank, in the least, and was about to compliment you and say how much I love your hair style -- nice length and style. I, too, have a similar 'look' when I'm less than impressed :)

Alrischa said...

What a cute little tree! Our plastic one is in the baby pen, but Byron can still reach it. Sigh.

Isn't 18months a fun age! Today my little monkey learned that if you pretend to kiss someone and then lick their nose, you get a fantastic reaction. I can't wait for him to show Daddy when he gets home. hehe.

Sinéad said...

Aww putting up the Christmas tree. I remember well when Alice was at that "destuctive age". I lost a few very precious ornaments before I learned and moved them higher up the tree!
Poor you about the cat. I get the same tearful requests for a dog about twice a week.

Mrhide said...

Maxime broke his first ornament this morning... 2 seconds of not looking and when my eyes come back to him, he's happily playing with the broken shards of glass...

no injuries and thank good he didn't taste them. probably kept that for the next one!

Anonymous said...

"...break on through...to the other side..."

I don't know why your posts keep getting me singing.

That tree is adorable! (So are the munchkins "helping" you decorate, though). But um, yeah, I'd get some plastic decorations. Hang the glass stuff on a wall-hanging wreath the kids can't touch and keep plastic or wood in the kid's-reach-radius.

I can't believe Liam is 1 already!