Monday, January 5, 2009

Odds and Ends

Today was my first day back after the Holidays, and while work itself was fine, the rest of the day thought it'd be fun to hand me my arse on a platter. Despite everyone's best efforts, it turns out I won't in all likelihood be accompanying Phil to Paris in a few weeks, which sucks because his trip coincides with our 15 year (dating) anniversary. I almost lost one of the lenses of my glasses (I took the hint and made an appointment with my optometrist), sent a personal email to a friend on their work address, only to find out that someone else was manning the desk and reading their messages that day... And then a hungry pack of wolves mauled me on my way home from work.

OK, that last one I made up. But the rest is true, and I'm definitely NOT feeling the love for 2009 so far.

Hey! You know what always cheers me up? Knitting! So let's get to it, shall we?

Oooh! Look! It's a slightly longer hat! Well, much longer, actually. You can see the point where the knitting is turned inside out and the brim will be. I've got about 4 rows left on the body before I start the crown shaping, so depending on whether I decide to capitulate to this Monday and head to bed after writing up this post, I may finish this puppy tonight.

I've got a few more deadline projects lined up, 2 of my nephews are celebrating birthdays in the next few weeks, and I'm debating whether or not hand knitted items will be considered cool or complelety awful by a soon-to-be 12 and 9 year-old (I'm leaning towards awful...). Would both be overkill? Actually, the older of the 2 really seemed to be into knitting when I taught him this summer, so I may just get him the yarn, the needles and a copy of Son of Stitch and Bitch. What do you think?

Since I've got nothing more interesting to show you today than a picture of a slightly longer than last time hat, I thought I'd share this with you:

Émilie got an encyclopedia from her grandparents for Christmas, and the section on human anatomy has all the internal organs represented in knit form, something I hadn't noticed until Phil pointed it out to me with a "You should blog this". I sort of smiled and nodded, but upon closer inspection, I had to admit it IS sort of cool.













And I thought knitted toys were weird! This stuff is just, well... Can you imagine working on something like this on the public transit system? LOL!

Happy Knitting Everyone!

4 comments:

Alrischa said...

Wonder if you can find guts patterns on Ravelry? hehehe.That's so weird, but hilarious.

birana said...

Yes.. it was so hard to get back to work yesterday.. the good thing of the day.. lunch time, for some knitting!
This book it's kind of strange.. I might say educational...

Sinéad said...

Poor you, not making it to Paris. That's awful! I hope Phil can make it up to you...
Speaking of knitted body parts, check this out:
http://harbaugh.uoregon.edu/Brain/

The hat is looking good!

Montreal Mama said...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwww that's nasty (knitted organs)