Friday, April 10, 2009

Back to my roots

So what did I knit during my vacation?

Well, for starters I finished the first Fratello sock on the plane on the way down there.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again (besides, it's my blog, I can do what I want): I love Yarnissima's sock patterns. They're complex and can be a bit intimidating, but they're also just so engrossing, you know? And her gussetts? Dudes, she is all OVER the gussett.

Oh yeah baby, flaunt that sexy arch!

This pattern also has a lovely twisted stitch section at the top of the foot and the front of the leg. It's only about 24 rows long, but it's enough to spice things up on what would otherwise be a fairly simple twisted rib pattern.

And besides, working those little cables without a cable needle makes me feel like a badass.

Yup, the only thing wrong with this pattern is that, genius that she is, Yarnissima hasn't found a way to get a completed PAIR of socks after knitting ONE.

Seriously, forget all these crazy new sock architectures, just figure out a way to get a pair of socks out of one sock, and you'll go down in knitting history! Fame, riches, the sky's the limit.

Since designers are still zooming past the obvious, I was forced to cast on the second sock. But I haven't gotten very far yet. I've been re-reading Twilight, and wouldn't you know it, it's just as engrossing the second time around? Insert sheepish grin here.

For a new project, I decided to cast on for Inga's Haekelbeutel bag using the Katia Jamaica cotton. I know... crochet! The night before we left for Florida, I realized that this project meant packing one crochet (and the yarn, of course), whereas the Very Berry T-Shirt I had also been considering for this yarn would require me bringing a variety of circular and double pointed needles with me, since I hadn't swatched yet... Sue me, I chose door A, Bob.

You know what? I'm enjoying it. It's quick, as in "Hey! I can't believe I already finished a square!"-quick, the colours are wonderful, and I think it'll make a cute bag for books and groceries and such.

As of last night, I've got 14 out of 16 squares done. I'm hoping to finish the last 2 squares tonight, and possibly start assembling them. Maybe I'll have a FO by Easter Monday?

Actually I will! My Clapotis is blocking as we speak. Pics next post!

Happy Knitting (and crocheting!) Everyone!

7 comments:

Sereknitty said...

Beautiful sock, and that bag is going to be fabulous in those yummy colours! BTW, did you know that the name of your bag pattern actually means 'Crocheted bag' translated from German?

Alrischa said...

Snap. I just read book 1 again, and harassed the people who have loaned 2, 3 and 4 to hurry up! I can't complain too much, though, because not only did I Twilight-Enable them, but they're shouting me to see "Eclipse" when it comes out.

I must learn to crochet!

Sinéad said...

Can't wait to see your clap!
I love the crochet squares, the colurs are really summery. And the sock. It's fab. I have to try a Yarnissima pattern very soon. Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

Nice sock! I love that gusset, but I like the colors of the crochet squares better. Very Easter-y!

Amelah said...

pretty sock!!


Love the colors of the squares. I want to learn how to crochet!

Montreal Mama said...

Great sock!

I wouldn't be able to re-read a book right now. I have soooooo many books I want to read, that it would have to wait until I was done reading everything else.

birana said...

Nice sock! 8 pages pattern but nice result! This color suits very well to the pattern too ;) Nice littles squares i'll go up in the post to see the final result then ;)