Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Next Thing

I'm sorry to say there will be no knitting content in today's post, because I'm heading out to the North Shore Knitters' meeting tonight so I'm blogging from work (hence, no pictures). So if you came for a fiber-fix, move along, and be sure to visit us again soon.

If, however, you're interested in some incoherent ramblings, sit yourself down with a cuppa, you've definitely come to the right place.

I don't know what it is, maybe it's the apalling weather we've had since coming home from Florida (it snowed here yesterday - we shan't speak of it further), maybe it's the fact that both kids are sick and our nights have been interrupted (cough, cough-cough, little bit of throwup, cough), maybe it's just Spring (or the complete lack thereof)... but I'm feeling restless.

I've noticed I'm at my happiest when I'm engrossed and utterly comsumed by something, be it a TV show (Buffy!), a book (Twilight!), a hobby (like, you know, knitting?), a relationship... Whatever it is, when it's really got it's hooks in me, that "thing" is all I want to do, all I think about, and the only time my brain shuts up and I'm at peace.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I've got loads and loads of free time I don't know how to fill. I'm busy enough with my regular routine of work, choir practice, knitting, the kids, the hubby... But I don't have that "thing" and it's really bugging me. I've lost my mojo.

Never thee mind the fact that these obsessions of mine, when they take hold, can lead me to trouble. After all, it was whilst deep in the thrall of my newfound obsession with knitting that I accumulated about 10 years' worth of yarn in just under a year.

I know all that, but I still miss the rush and the thrill of anticipation. It just hurts so good, you know?

I'll get over it, of course, and I'll be onto the next "thing" in no time. In the meantime I've got my eyes peeled, and my credit card locked away. Just in case ;)

Happy Knitting Everyone!

5 comments:

kate-the-enabler said...

As you know - I await the next 'thing' with bated breath and much anticipation (Hey! how 'bout carpentry? I have some ideas for 'practise' projects.. ;) )
The snow stinketh large. LARGE
And I didn't realise that the kids were sick - so sorry to hear that -I hope it's clearing up now.
Have fun tonight :)

Ali P said...

Mmmm...I like big things.... Wonder if its something I would enjoy?
What about something fibery that starts with an S and rhymes with spadinning? I am not itno it anymore but it seems like something your compulsive obsessive self would go NUTS for. Not that I think you are obsessive compulsive...

Kate Said It!!!!!!
(sounds of running footsteps trailing off and a door slam)

Sereknitty said...

"An-ti-ci-pa-aa-shun ... it's making me wait, it's keeping me way--eh-eh-ting" ... etc. etc.

I love looking forward to the next new, fabulous, whatever, thing! Probably wise to have locked up the credit card.

I'm currently in the midst of some yarn 'destashing', myself.

After 3 days of 21C weather, we're back to tres cold again, although thankfully, no more snow since last Wednesday.

Montreal Mama said...

You should freeze your credit card in water and keep it in the freezer (like in Confessions of a Shopaholic). LOL.. just in case...!

I just treated myself to the Knitpicks Options needle set for losing 22.2 lbs. Not sure if I'm regretting that decision yet or not, LOL... I'll let ya know after I get my credit card statement. Maybe I should freeze my visa. Though, it doesnt help that I know the number off my heart and online you don't need to show proof of card. OY!

Does Kate want to build some carpentry things for me? I know some things I'd like built! LOL

Montreal Mama said...

ps- I'm sure you'll get your mojo back soon. Just wait for the warmer weather. (What the fuck is this snow yesterday?)