Sunday, May 10, 2009

My cup runneth over

So last night, Phil and I were discussing our New Year's resolutions. A third of the year has already gone by, and we were reviewing our progress, as it were. Did we achieve our goals? What could we do to help them along?

One of my own resolutions was to be more of a giver, to invest in the right people, and to try to be a better person.

Now, over the past few weeks... I guess you could say I've been going through a bit of a crisis of faith. Faith in myself, maybe. Faith in others, faith in my relationships with others and my place in their lives...

But you know, I think I must have been doing something right, because I have been hit with the most extraordinary kindness from people in my life, in ways I truly didn't expect or see coming. I've been the victim of drive-by lovin'.

First, this week I received this beautiful kimono peg bag that Sinéad made herself (I believe it's her second sewing project EVER) and sent me, just for being her blog friend, all the way from Ireland.


It is fully awesome, my friends. I love, love, love it, and I love, love, love you, Sinéad. Thanks so much for this, and for thinking of me, and for sharing the blog experience with me. You're the best.

OK. Before I get to the second drive-by, lemme back up a bit.

As you all know, Phil left for Paris last night on business, and he'll be gone all week. Now, while I wasn't exactly expecting diamonds and pearls for Mother's Day (it was after Mother's Day last year that I coined the term DORMA, after all...), I was still a bit bummed about him not being there, about having to do everything by myself this week, yadayadayada.

Last night the kids stayed overnight at their grandparents' house, so this morning I had the house to myself. I woke up, had my breakfast, drank my coffee and read the newspaper at a leisurely pace... then got to work making the food for the week. At about 8:30, I was up to my elbows in meatloaf when the doorbell rang.

As I got to the door, I looked outside and saw Kate-the-Enabler's husband Chris, still in his jammies, running up the steps to his house. Then I looked down to see this on my doorstep.

The man made me breakfast. He and the kids were making breakfast in bed for Kate, and they made me a plate too. Orange juice, French Toast (with powdered sugar sprinkled on top), ham, watermelon, pineapple, cherries, and warmed maple syrup on the side.

Wait... it gets better. Look at the presentation. There's a friggin' Orchid on the plate!

If you're wondering why the picture is blurry, that'd be because I went from laughing to bawling my eyes out within about a minute of taking the cover off the plate (yes, really), and I didn't think to check the quality of the picture until the entire second breakfast was consumed.

Thank you so much, Chris. That was one of the most thoughtful things anyone has ever done for me. Ever. Just writing about it now... Wow.

So yeah... I feel blessed today. I truly am a better person for having these wonderful people in my life.

What does that mean, as far as my resolutions go? I just need to keep doing what I'm doing, I guess, and look to the future, not the past.

Happy Knitting Everyone!

12 comments:

kate-the-enabler said...

Now I'M all verklempt. What a lovely writeup :)
We think you're a fabulous Mom, and we know how lucky we are you have you for a neighbor and a friend. Very very glad that the surprise breakfast brought some happy into your day. You deserve plenty.
And the peg bag? What a gift - Sinead..it's lovely!!!
Happy DORMA anniversary

Sereknitty said...

What goes around, comes around ... glad it happened to you and brightened your day!

Alrischa said...

Happy Mothers' Day!

What a great idea. I'm inspired to do some drive-bys myself, for fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an amazing thing.

Sinéad said...

That breakfast would have had me in tears too, tbh. What a lovely thing to do. And the peg bag? Well, you're very welcome. Thank you for encouraging me to try new things!

Caroline said...

That's just amazing! And you totally deserve all the good things that come to you my dear!

Mrhide said...

YOU CAN MAKE COFFEE WHEN YOU ARE ALONE?? and no mention of me making it every morning for you?? Looks like Chris will have to make it for you from now on !!!

Sinead: it's nice! you should try to make some kites! me will send you some fabric to try!!

me said...

I'm glad you were spoiled on your day! You have some beautiful finished objects, so I hope those count as "positive" for your new years resolutions!!! Keep Knitting!!!

Ali P said...

If my husband was to leave me on Mother's Day he would be very very sorry. As it is he STILL get the fact that he ate all my ice chips during Ben's birth and then had the temerity to go "Whew..I'm thirsty" after I had delivered a baby (after not eating since the day before and not being allowed to drink either ....only popsicles or ice chips for 24 hours? grrrrr)and that my first Mother's Day gift was an electric kettle (WTF??? You only get ONE first Mother's Day dudes!!). poor guy of mine.
I am so glad you got treated like the Queen of All You Survey that you are. Mwah (kiss)!!

Montreal Mama said...

That was super sweet of Chris! What great neighbors you have.

I hope you had a great time on mother's day even though Phil was in Paris. It's nice that the kids were able to go to the grandparents for a nice, must have been a nice break.

You are a good person Tara, just keep doing what you're doing.

Montreal Mama said...

ps- that Peg bag is totally adorable. I wonder if there is a free pattern online or if it was from a book?

birana said...

Very cute bag and very kind from Sinead :) You're luck to have so nice neighbor who had the idea and took time to make a breakfast for you in your alone mothers day, it's a very nice attention. And I agree it makes you fell a good person! (In fact you are :)