Monday, June 29, 2009

Back to normal

Hi there! I'm back! Did you miss me?

Well, I am over-the-top ecstatic to report that, after 3 concerts in 3 days, choir craziness is officially behind me for two glorious months, and thank GOD and Sunny Jesus for that. Not a moment too soon, as what started out as a slight cough a few days ago has turned into full-blown laryngitis, and I sound like I should be living in a swamp and have green goo dripping from my skin.

I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose. Whenever I get sick, the voice is always the first thing to go. But when I started coughing on Saturday night, I didn't really pay it any mind. Then when I got up yesterday morning, my voice was just... gone. No, not gone. It had dropped a couple of octaves, and I was convinced I wouldn't be able to sing at all, never mind perform my solo. But after warming up, I was able to pull it off. I really gave it all I had left though, because today? I think all I could manage would be some Leonard Cohen, and even that would be pushing it, heh.

So there are a few things to get caught up on, not the least of which is that it was my birthday this weekend! Yup, I turned 33 this past Saturday, wheeeee!!! It was a lovely day, I got to go out for a run in the rain, did some shopping (for Maxime's big boy bedroom set), had yummy birthday cupcakes, spent time with family. All things that are of the good. And of course, I was spoiled by friends and family alike. Here are some of the highlights:

A lovely necklace and earring combo from Phil, Émilie and Maxime.

A beautiful necklace from Phil. Doesn't the pendant look like my tattoo? :)

A skein of Sea Silk from Kate-the-Enabler (Mmmmmmmmmmm, Seeeeaaaaa Siiiiiiilk)

I also got a gift certificate to Mouliné from my cousin Jessica, and the Whimsical Little Knits booklet from Robyn.

My grandmother also sent me some money, under the express condition that I spend it on myself. No spending it on the kids or household expenses (she knows me so well), something for me only. And honestly? I don't know what to do! Yarn? (Can you say Tanis???) Clothes? Shoes? Mani pedi? Spa day? Too many options...

Oh not to worry. I'm sure I'll think of something.

Happy Knitting Everyone!

4 comments:

Montreal Mama said...

Definitely get yourself some Tanis. (And maybe some of the new awesome Cascade Heritage Sock Yarn I got into stock - it's so soft!)

Looks like you had a great birthday! Love the gifts you got from everyone!

Glad you didn't already get yourself the booklet. That's why I was trying to put you off from ordering it before when you asked me about it! Needed something to get you for your birthday!

Hope you had a good one! xoxo

Sinéad said...

Your necklace is gorgeous, well both of them are! Glad you had a ncie bday and the concerts went well. Hope your voice is better though, laryngitis sucks.
Nice bday haul too, impressive! And I'm looking forward to seeing your Ishbel in the Shimmer. I'm currently making a lace scarf in Shimmer too!

Alrischa said...

Money that you Must Spend On Yourself is such a nice present! Whatever present it ends up becoming, it's always fun and something that you want.

Hey, you should get yourself one of those magnifiers for knitting patterns, now that you're 33 and all (hehehe). Take care of those old eyes Ü

Glad you had a great birthday!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the concerts went well. What did you think when you had "no" voice? Oy!

You got some great bday loot! I love the tattoo necklace! My sister-in-law has a blown-glass ball with a tree in it like that, it's stunning.

http://www.witchball.net/