Thursday, January 7, 2010

Comfort knitting

Back in November I caught the flu. I won't say *The* Flu, because I don't have a Bona Fide, certified, stamped diagnosis, but really, how many Flu viruses were floating around at the time? I felt so awful that I didn't even want to knit, I just wanted to lie in bed and stare into nothingness (it probably didn't help that Phil was in Paris at the time, heh).

After a few weeks, though, another bug caught hold of me again, and I wanted to cast on for something new, something warm and comforting that would make me enjoy the process of knitting it. I checked my queue on Ravelry, consulted a few girlfriends, and eventually cast on for Jared Flood's Hemlock Ring Blanket.

My friends told me it was a mistake. That the feather and fan, although lovely, was long and tedious, and that what I really needed to regain my knitting mojo was some instant gratification.

But I was undeterred. I wanted the long, mindless rows. I wanted to enjoy the rough quality of the Eco Wool. I wanted to feel the weight of it on my lap as I worked on it.

My grandmother used to make feather and fan afghans. Maybe she had knit the occasional sock or baby hat, but the only thing I ever remember her making were those afghans. Always the same pattern (which I'll remember until the day I die), always the same God-awful acrylic yarn (God bless her). So when I first picked up the needles, that's what we made. So this project truly was like chicken soup for my knitting soul.

There's just something about knitting a blanket, you know? I mean sure, it takes a long time, but when you're done you can envelop your entire body in rich, warm yarn. Even the kids were excited for me to finish it. Émilie would look at the blob o' knitting on the couch and ask "Aren't you finished that doudou (blankie) yet???".

So there it is, my first FO of 2010. I think it's a good omen for what's to come.

Happy Knitting Everyone! Love what you knit, it'll love you back when you're done.

5 comments:

Caroline said...

It's beautiful!

Alrischa said...

Wow, what a huge job! It looks fantastic and warm and cosy, though, and it would be pretty gratifying to finish something so big. Is it for you? I'd watch out for your innocent-looking girl... she'll hide it somewhere, and then, one day, leave home with it! lol. Ü

Sinéad said...

Gorgeous. Although it sounds like you'll have a fight over who uses it on the couch! I was only thinking to myself the other day I'd love to have a blanket to knit so my legs would be warm. mmm.

Montreal Mama said...

Oh wow, it's gorgeous Tara!

Looks totally cozy!

Sereknitty said...

Very nice!