Saturday, January 22, 2011

Complex Woman

You know, for someone who felt that knitting was self-indulgent a few weeks ago, there has certainly been a fair amount of self-congratulatory stash enhancement over the past month!

Naturally, there was some pre-Christmas "to me, from me, with love" yarn pron. I totally splurged and bought myself... Wait. Can you guess what it is?


Yup, it's a sweater's worth of SHELTER (Mmmmm, Jared Floooooood). I prefer to call it my Kerrera in the act of becoming, though :) Can't WAIT to knit this up.


I also had a small yarn accident at the LYS when I found out that Mission Falls was closing up shop for good. The idea that I would never be able to buy any Mission Falls EVER AGAIN sort of got to me, and before you could say "yarn diet" I had snapped up their entire selection of 136 Merino in colours I liked.

9 balls of this neutral grey (colourway 003)

5 balls of Forest Green (colourway 016)

5 balls of this lovely Wine Red (colourway 029)

So that's 19 balls of Mission Falls... Like I said, I had a wee accident. Total investment stashage though, and I regret nothing (ask me again when my credit card bill makes a dent in my mailbox).

But that's not all! I mentioned yesterday that Kate-the-Enabler, Émilie and I went on a little shopping expedition this week. It's a trip that's been in the works for quite some time, and we finally got our acts together yesterday. It was glorious, magnificent, great fun, and I think I may have discovered my new happy place. No, I'm not talking about a new LYS or a cashmere warehouse, I'm talking about... the fabric store.

We bought everything I'll need to make my first ever sewing project (the quilted lunch bag you see in the photo above), and I'm totally stoked to get started. Totally. Stoked. I was quite determined to be responsible (what?) and only buy what I'd need for this one project, but... well... everything was just so PRITTY!!!

Yup. I haven't even begun to sew yet, and I've already got a fabric stash.... *Sigh*

Happy Knitting (and sewing!), Everyone!

13 comments:

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Woah stash enhancement! Great picks. Which LYS did you get the Mission Falls from? Nice colors to boot. Can't wait to see what that all becomes.

I think I had a stash of fabric before I even started to sew too :) You're not the only one.

Can't wait to see your first sewing project ever.

Maryse said...

On s'est fait plaisir! C'est correct ça! Kerrera en Shelter ça va te faire un magnifique cardigan! J'ai toujours pas vu ton Castelgar!!!

Chantal Boucher said...

Tu es trop drôle!!! Compulsive? à peine!

Cynthia F said...

Oooh gorgeous yarns and fabrics!! I can't wait to see your lunchbag!!

Sereknitty said...

I, too, was saddened to her about Mission Falls closing down. Glad you were able to stock up on your faves. LOL'd at your new stash! I've now got 3 different stashes: scrapbooking supplies, yarn & fabric ... so many crafts, too little time. Glad to hear that Emilie is home and on the mend :)

Alrischa said...

Kerrera is beautiful, and will look great in that yarn. Was in on Twist Collective or sthg? I've seen it before... maybe on your blog! lol.

Caroline said...

I love all the fabrics you bought, esp. the one for your first project. I'm entertaining the idea of learning how to sew but the thought of having a fabric stash on top of my yarn stash makes me a little dizzy. I think I'll keep spending money on yarn instead.

Celia said...

Say it ain't so! I used Mission Falls for my first scarf.

kate-the-enabler said...

WHEN DO WE START!!? :)
(Caroline - you don't have to have a stash..you can purchase per project!!!)
But really - I'm so looking forward to working on this with you. It was a nice shopping day - maybe it won't take me, what, four months? more? to get to our next one..

Tim Landry said...

One thing is FOR SURE. If anyone deserves some self-indulgence, it is you and Phil and Emilie and Maxime. Please call me if you have time (514-708-1797)

Laurie said...

Wow, what a wonderful shopping spree!! I'm really interested in your experiences with sewing. I have Post Traumatic Sewing Stress Syndrome from childhood but have recently been actually looking at sewing machines in stores and wondering...could I???

Sinéad said...

Isn't the Shelter divine? I keep petting mine. The colour you bought is lovely, it will really suit you. I'd heard about Mission Falls, I've never knit with their yarn. Sad to see them go.
And fabric stash!

Jennifer said...

You're a riot. Once a stasher, always a stasher! :D

Great stash additions (even the non-yarny ones). That Kerrera sweater will look gorgeous!

So glad to see the blog back to the usual and that (it appears) all the scary stuff is past. Now that you've had your stress for the year, let's let the rest of it just coast by, m'kay?