Friday, March 25, 2011

Knitter down

One of my goals for 2011 is to improve my yoga practice. Not only do I find it both soothing and challenging, but it really compliments the running well (Did I tell you? I signed up for a half-marathon in May.) Being double-jointed, I'm naturally flexible, but I really need to work on my core strength, and yoga is a great way to do that.

I've been trying to get to a class 3 times a week, but that's not always possible. The past 2 weeks have been high on the stress-factor, causing me to fall off the fitness wagon entirely and retreat to the safety and comfort of my couch, my knitting, and my TV (Phil and I have been watching old Three's Company episodes. Very soothing. Come and knock on our dooooor...).

I had a class on Wednesday, and I was feeling a bit off, but not overly so. Right up until we had to transition from a Side Plank Pose* (something I struggled with for a long time and now makes me feel like a total badass) to sort of a half Wheel Pose by moving our upper leg back and sort of flipping over (gracefully... well, the teacher did it gracefully, anyway). And my right shoulder protested. It didn't flat out refuse, it just grumbled a little bit. I finished the class, packed up my things, and went on with my day.

During the course of the afternoon, my shoulder complained a bit here and there. I didn't pay it much attention though (I mostly thought it was being a bit of a baby and it could just suck it up). That evening, while I was knitting (and watching Janet, Chrissy and Jack. Oh, those crazy kids.), it started to really make a fuss. The shoulder was bothered by the knitting.

CLEARLY, that was just a big slice of crazy pie. Knitting bothering me??? My shoulder obviously didn't get the memo. Knitting makes me feel better, not worse! Maybe I was tired. Maybe if I just went to bed, it would be all better in the morning, and we could just put this whole "Knitting = Ouch" crazy-talk behind us.

Thursday morning the shoulder was not only sore, it was downright painful. Lifting my arm was causing spasms and involuntary shrieks of surprise. What's worse, the pain was no longer confined to the shoulder area, it was now shooting down my entire right arm and making my fingers numb. By the time I got home, I was a whimpering mess, flinching at the slightest movement of my right arm.

When the kids were in bed (Hallelujah, I don't know if I could have survived any more of "Nurse Émilie's" attention, so help me wool), I skulked over to the couch and gazed forlornly at my knitting. There was just no way. Much as my mind rebelled against the idea, I was going to have to accept the idea that I was going to spend an evening without knitting.

How do non-knitters do it? How do they just... just... sit there? Sit there in front of the television and do nothing? I just don't get it! (I think I'm starting to understand why my husband isn't much of a TV person. Huh. Total epiphany right there.)

Happy Knitting, Everyone.

ps: The shoulder, while slightly improved today, is still really sore. Knitting might be out of the question tonight as well. Fingers crossed that sewing is still possible. If it isn't, you might want to steer clear of me until this is resolved. Knitting/Sewing/Creating is a big part of my Mental Health Plan, and I can't guarantee your safety.

* See how her arms seem to bend the wrong way? That chick is TOTALLY double-jointed.

8 comments:

Celia said...

Hope your shoulder is better soon.

Mrhide said...

plenty of "India Pale Ale" medication in the fridge downstairs!

Sinéad said...

Disaster! No knitting? I'd lose my reason. I hope it clears up soon. I had bursitis once in my shoulder and that mother was sore. Heat pads helped a bit, but I ended up needing steroid injections. Rest is key to a swift recovery, hard as that might be to achieve...

Alrischa said...

At least you can still play in the yarn stash, and shop! hehehe. Hope that rebel shoulder gets back into line very soon.

Dawn said...

I don't know how they do it either...the non knitters. Steering clear!

Dad said...

Shoulders hurt less in California....can you sing this verse....then again you may have torn a rotator muscle in which case it will always hurt but it will be less in California....

Laurie said...

Dang, that really bites! Between your shoulder and my left hand, I think we need a "Knitter's Purple Heart" medal. I hate Wheel Pose anyway...no good reason for it. LOL! As another uber-loose-ligamented gal, I can testify that it sometimes makes yoga more difficult and makes us more prone to injury than our stiffer sisters.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

I hope your shoulder feels better soon.

I've always wondered how people just sit there and watch tv.... and not knit or crochet or craft of any kind for that matter.