Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Finding the will to go on

I don't do much knitting in public. Correction: I don't do much knitting in public around Muggles. Not that I'm embarrassed or shy about my Knitter lifestyle, of course. Truthfully, I don't give a flying fig what people think of a Wannabe-hip-thirtysomething-married-mother-of-two-librarian-with-delusions-of-semi-hotness TM who knits.


No, rather it's because, in my experience anyway, Muggles just don't seem to get the concept of multi-tasking. The idea that I can talk and knit at the same time (and not just about what I'm knitting, either!) is just completely foreign to them. They don't get it, they see me knitting and get all discombobulated, and pretty soon any conversation - or rather, my presumed participation within said conversation - fizzles out.


Now, when I'm home (or hanging out with my knitting peeps), it's another matter entirely, of course. My knitting is rarely more than an arm's length away, ready for me to pick it up and knit a few rounds here and there, while watching TV with the kids, supervising homework, etc.


Which is why, when I didn't pick up my knitting on Friday night, it felt really odd. Sure, I was super tired, and we were watching a subtitled movie, which isn't exactly knit-friendly, but the point is that I didn't even feel the urge to knit. Like, at all.


Then on Saturday? Same thing. OK, I had dinner with friends that evening and didn't get home until way past my bedtime, but even during the day... nothing. Not a stitch. It was like I had lost my will to knit.


I gave it a lot of thought on Sunday, and I think I've found a solution to my problem.



That's better.


Happy Knitting, Everyone!

7 comments:

margaux said...

ever tried knitting at a baby shower? I figured "well she's opening all these presents and I could watch AND knit at the same time" it was as if I took out a book! Awesome sock!

Laurie said...

Oh, VERY cool...details????? I haven't knit in almost a week now - trying to get the hand working again. Starting to really miss it, too. Your post reminds me of a weird experience I had with some muggles a couple weeks ago...I should blog about it (maybe tomorrow since I have NO WIP progress to show). :-)

Alrischa said...

I was going to suggest new yarn, but casting on something new works, too ;)

Dawn said...

Now why didn't I think of that??? Purple yarn and a new sock sounds like the perfect cure to the knitters blues.

Celia said...

My family knows I can totally do both. I play Wii and knit. I like the reference to muggles.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Love the knitting at a baby shower comment!

I knit everywhere.. :) Especially while my kids have swimming lessons. Let them be jealous and look at my almost finished sweater or my soon to be finished socks!

What sock pattern you start? That looks familiar.

Sinéad said...

Everyone goes through barren patches. I know I do. And there's nothing like starting a new project to bring back the mojo. Only problem I have is forcing myself to return to the original project that sucked the mojo out of me. I stare at it, talk to it, but it's hard to finish it.