Friday, August 19, 2011

The other kind of spinning

Since running the half-marathon last May I have completely mostly fallen off the exercise/running/fitness/yay! wagon, and my body has changed dramatically. I'm not a size 6 anymore, things that used to be firm are now unnervingly jiggly, and my energy level is really low.

I know what the solution is, of course. Start exercising again, re-connect with that feeling of DOING something for myself in the most basic sense, for my BODY.

But I'm having a hard time of it. I'm really jealous of my precious knitting/sewing/crafting time. Rather than patting myself on the back when I go out for a run, I find myself glancing at the clock and resenting the time spent exercising when I could have spent it sewing up a quilt block, knitting while watching True Blood with Phil, or even playing in the garden. Exercise has felt increasingly like a chore or a responsibility, and who the heck wants more of those??? Not me, thanks, my cup totally runneth over.

In an effort to try to remember that exercise is not only good for me but FUN! too!!! (*sigh*) I've been trying to switch it up a bit this past week. Trying new things isn't always an easy process to internalize, of course.

For instance, when I told Phil I had signed up for a spinning class this weekend? Dude totally thought I meant spinning yarn.

Kinda says something about how important crafting has become in our daily lives though, doesn't it?

Happy Knitting, Everyone!

5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I swim to keep fit and only first thing in the morning.
I always feel that it is doing me some good although sometimes I have to admit I find it very tedious!
I try to plan my day as I swim but then I get in a muddle and lose count of the amount of lengths I've done.
Good luck with the spinning!

Maryse said...

The thing with exercising is that it always feels better once we started... rarely before ;-) That's what I try to focus on!

Sinéad said...

Lol! I think my hubby would have thought the same thing! Exercise is really hard to start, but good fun once you get going. And, if it goves you extra energy, that means you can craft longer, right?

Dawn said...

Spinning yarn probably wouldn't have made you sweat quite as much! How did it go?

Knit and Purl Mama said...

I would have thought spinning yarn too! LOL. Have you started the spinning class yet? How's that going?

Exercise is very hard - I hate doing it as well. I agree with you on the knitting/crochet/reading (my choices) over exercising. With 3 kids, in the evenings, when I do have the time, I'm pooped and would rather be knitting or crocheting or reading a book.

Keep focused, and you can do it!