Thursday, January 5, 2012

Gadgets

Up until now, I wouldn't have called myself a gadget person. As a rule, the new gizmos, doodads and thingamabobs didn't really interest me. I was usually pretty happy with whatever tech I had. It's perfectly serviceable, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", yadayada...

The thing is, my job sort of requires me to be a bit tech savvy. Now, I realize some of you (or maybe even quite a few of you!) are going to have your entire world view completely skewed at the idea that a librarian could need to be tech anything, but they do. Information is available on many different platforms, and a good librarian (to say nothing of a good medical librarian!) needs to be hip to what's happening on the tech scene. (And yes, I realize that by using the term "hip to" anything, I have labeled myself as a total dork. Moving on.)

Anyway, since starting the new job, I've really noticed the, um... gaps in my techno-hipness. Clients would come in with really specific questions about their iPhones, their Androids, their tablets or their MacBooks, and it was all I could do not to answer them with "uummmmmmm... Gosh, I.... Look! Something shiny!".

Those days are behind me now though, for Santa (aka Phil) put a brand spanking new iPad under my tree :). It's fabulous! I've had a blast loading it up with various knitterly apps and assorted accoutrements. I've also started posting pictures on Instagram (I'm dearknits. Duh). So much fun! I love the filters you can apply to the images as well. It even inspired me to sign up for this photo a day challenge!

Here are a few pictures I took in the past week:





So while I remain may still be a techno-weenie (because DUDES, it just took me an HOUR to figure out how to post those pictures to Blogger, and I didn't really succeed because I wound up emailing them to myself and finishing up this post on my trusty old PC), I'm a weenie with a cool doohickey, and that's good enough for me!

Happy Knitting, Everyone!

8 comments:

Maryse said...

Seems like soon I will be the only person on the planet without a IPad! ;-) Enjoy!

Celia said...

I don't have an ipad either. My computer is probably 8 years old. My TV's are even older. I don't have WIFI. I work in the IT department, but I don't shell out money for new technology. I do want a simple NOOK though.

Great job on the pics.

margaux said...

oh hi hotness. love the bangs!

Dad said...

Ummmmm......look.....shiny!

Dawn said...

I'm jealous! Surely you will figure it all out and soon be a weanie no more!

Sinéad said...

YAY iPad! Loooooove mine. Although mines an iPad 1 with no camera. I give it 6 months before you want an iPhone. at least that's the way my descent into Apple territory went!
Oh, and your hair looks great in the first photo. It's gotten so long!

Knit and Purl Mama said...

I heart my iPad too. Best birthday present ever! I love instagram too. I use it daily. I use BlogPress (I think it was 1.99$ or 2.99$) for the app to blog. Blogger isn't fully functional on safari on the iPad. I've tried.

Share with us what apps you love!

Enjoy your new toy!!!

Jennifer said...

I love whosits and whatsits galore. And those thingamabobs? I've got 20!

:)

I was always first into gadgets. Had home computers in the 80s, had all my contacts in those old 264K database agenda things, and had a Palm until they screwed everything up. I've had my iPhone for a year, October, and I use it non stop all day. It's my agenda, phone, entertainment, games, recipes, milestone tracker, weight/food tracker, news source, music/radio source, podcast/vidcast source, camera...

Am. Hooked.

ps 1: Love your necklace

ps 2: instead of emailing the photos to yourself, get a Dropbox account. Anything you put in there you can access from your iPad, home computer, and any other computer that can access the internet.

Plus you can share folders/files. I've got an account I use between work/laptop/desktop/iphone, and shared folders with my mom and Maaike for sharing pics and stuff.
It's free up to a certain amount of space, and you can get more by referring people, etc, or pay to upgrade if you need it.