Sunday, February 19, 2012

Quickies

While in Myrtle Beach last summer, I briefly found myself in fabric heaven. It was our last day, and we had a few hours to kill, so we did some shopping. My local fabric store isn't much to write home about, so I wasn't expecting much. But DUDES, this place was WAY beyond anything I've experienced at home. Bolts and bolts of fabric EVERYWHERE, all modern and pretty and organized by colour... Oh, it was glorious. I remember wanting to spend HOURS in this place, but with 2 cherubs following me around and whining about being hungry/thirsty/hot/tired/needing to pee... it was, shall we say... challenging.

To buy myself a bit of time (not to mention the good graces of the shop keepers!), I let each of the kids choose a fat quarter of fabric of their very own. Whichever one they wanted, I'd buy it for them. And we'd use it to make something for them "later".

Weeks went by. Months, even. But they didn't forget. Every once in a while, they'd pull out their fabric and ask me when I was going to make something for them. "What about my fabric, maman? When will you make something with my fabric?".

*Sigh*

I finally cracked this weekend, and made each of them a lined drawstring pouch, using Jeni's pattern (from In Color Order).



I made the Snack Size bag, which took me maybe 25 minutes per bag, including cutting time. The kids seem happy with them, even though I was a wee bit disappointed with the finished size myself (probably should have read the actual measurements in the pattern first, huh? I mean, there are 16 size options, fps). Émilie, especially, seems to be making the most of it.


Some bling, a pair of shades... what else does a modern girl on the go need?

Happy Knitting, Everyone!

5 comments:

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Those are super cute! I like what she has filled her pouch with!

Celia said...

That's the best goody bags I have ever seen.

Maryse said...

Nice little projects! It's fun that your kids chose their favorite fabric and did not forget about it!

Michelle, Queen Behind the Lens! said...

Had to chuckle at your description of life with kids-- they never forget the important stuff, do they?! :D Adorable bags. Were probably quick & easy once you finally broke down and pulled out the sewing machine, too.

Dawn said...

Cutest bags ever! You did a great job with those!